Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tid bits of lately . . . Christmas cookies, making ornaments and gingerbread men . . .

Well it feels like forever since I've had time to sit down for a minute and post anything about anything. We have been so busy and done so much, but somehow things keep slipping past my camera without being captured. 
 We made ornaments with styrofoam balls, scraps of cloth and a whole lot of sticky glue . . .
 I really like the way they came out, but the process wasn't as easy as I'd imagined in my head. 
 We made gingerbread cookies . . . And found out they date back to over a thousand years ago. 
In the fourteen-hundreds Swedish nuns made them to ease indigestion . . .
 We began reading Holly and Ivy, one of my most favorite books ever . . .
 I highly recommend it, the artwork is so pleasant to look at that as a kid I would 
spend hours pouring over the pictures. 
And we made Christmas cookies . . . Yeay for a real working oven!!!!
Christmas Cookies

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl combine:
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon guar gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add and crumble with your fingers until evenly combined:
1 cup butter soft

Add and mix into a ball:
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 grapefruit squeezed (a lemon or orange is fine)

If the dough is too dry add a tiny bit of water until it is 
the right consistency. 

Roll out, cut into shapes and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
or the cookies are slightly golden. 

For the icing I didn't measure the powdered sugar so:

Mix:
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup or more citrus juice
and then add powdered sugar until it is thick and smooth
but still spreads. 

                                              Cheers ~ Marica

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I think we have some things in common...LOL!
    I made Xmas cookies this morning too...I love make them every year for Xmas and...every year for Xmas...I read a book...always the same..."A Christmas carol"...
    Happy holidays to you and your wonderful family Marica!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Happybee,
    Sounds like a fun tradition, I love the Christmas Carol!!Happy Holidays: )
    ~Marica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew gingerbread helped with digestion? Yum!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment. By the way, I highly recommend making the gingerbread donuts. They are DELICIOUS!

    Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete