Friday, June 29, 2012

Grapefruit Marmalade

I have been planning to make grapefruit marmalade for years now, seriously, years…
Then last summer when we moved to this house we found we had a vibraint grapefruit tree growing in our yard, I made the agreement once more with myself: Make grapefruit marmalade…



So the day before yesterday I finally made good with my plans, I made grapefuit marmalade, and yes, it came out delicious. Please do realize grapefruits are bitter, thus, your grapefruit maramlade will be bitter too. I love that, but I'm not positive everyone will.

Grapefruit Marmalade

Cut the thick skin off of two ripe grapefruit. Save half the rind and both the insides. 
Slice the skin very thinly into agreeable lengths. Place in a pot, cover with water and simmer until skins are tender, about 20-30 minutes. Drain then place back in the pot. Chop up the insides of the two grapefruits, remove seeds and toss into the pot. Add 1 + 1/2 cups sugar and mash around a bit. 
Simmer, stirring often, until thick and tasty. I am pretty sure mine cooked about an hour, but I'm not entirely sure.

6 comments:

  1. yum! and i looks so pretty~ i really like the bottom pic ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rocky : ) Hope you all had a good week !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing as good as homemade marmalade. We have just made some lemon, it is so delicious, I love the zingy flavour. Your grapefruit marmalade looks wonderful, and how lucky are you to have a grapefruit tree growing in your garden. I remember my mother used to make a lovely 3 fruit marmalade with grapefruit, lemon and orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful!! I was thingking about making a multi-citrus marmalade, out here we often hae more citurs than we can use… Hope you have a wonderful weekend : )

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration, Marica! I just made a triple-citrus & ginger marmalade today. So delicious and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete