Monday, December 17, 2012

A weeks trip away… Maui... and it is better than I could have imagined...

I have never been on a real island, at least that I can think of… Maybe I have and it will come to me later, but as far as I can stretch my mind, I haven't
 been on an island surrounded by sea water all on its own, defending itself from being
 swallowed up by the billions of waves constantly crashing at its shores…
Well, now I have, and it was so unbelievably wonderful. Much more wonderful than 
I would have imagined. My mom and I spent a perfect week, just the two of us visiting Maui…
 I tried oysters for the first time... Somehow all the sea around made it seem most fitting. 
I tasted the ocean stronger than ever before...
I played in they biggest waves I've ever been in. California has big waves, but nothing like this…
This picture doesn't do justice...
We saw humpback whales and snorkeled in a coral reef, a for-real coral reef!
We sat on rocky shores, the black jagged shapes so harsh and beautiful…
The most amazing though, was the road to Hana.
The winding, quite often one lane road that curled its way through Maui's jungle forests… 
And by the way, one lane as in… ONE LANE!
We stopped and picnicked on the short wide wall of a moss covered bridge...
There were so many of these bridges we kept having to stop to take pictures. They were so magical...
As we ate, a jeep stopped, several people got out with flashlights and remarked that if they didn't come out in an hour to call for help. We asked where they were going and they said their was a hole beside the road that was a lava tunnle… We finished eating and decided to explore it a bit. It was pitch black immediately and we had no flash lights, but my camera's flash was a god send. We went a short bit making sure to keep the tunnel opening visible. I got a couple of good pictures before my camera died and we decided we best go out... 
A couple hours later we paid to see a mile long lava tunnel. 
We preferred the pint size one we explored alone.
The contrast of sky to foliage kept making me take my camera out...

On a different day we drove the north west shore. It was amazing as well and 
when we stopped of to see an ocean blow hole we found an alien land…
This guy must have been king!
Spectacular...
It all took my breath and my heart away… I can't wait to go back and filter in the perfect air and wild fruit… Hawaii, the cliché that I now know could never be cliché, it was just truly wonderful!!!!


                                                                          Cheers ~ Marica

5 comments:

  1. OMG Marica!!!!!
    the pics look awesome!!!
    this sounds like the perfect trip!!!!!
    and...how much fun just you and your Mom!!!!!
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dani!!! Hope everything is going well for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very beautiful -- and what a great thing to share with your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing trip to share with your adorable mother! She looks so young, kind and warm! Loving. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kiersten!!! Let me know if at some point you come to California again... I would love to have tea together someday: )

      Delete