Sunday, November 21, 2010

Carrot Juice Remains Become Cake

I recently borrowed my mothers vegetable juicer and have been making a lot of carrot juice with 
celery, garlic and ginger. 
 I love it! It has such a bite to it, and is an amazing morning spark. The pulp is always so fresh and ready that I have had a hard time throwing it out. Carrot cake crosses my mind, but then I get lazy and toss it anyway. But the other morning I decided to to put the idea into a bowl and see what happens.
 Well, all could have been great, except I forgot about the garlic and celery and so I ended up with a strange aromatic cake less than desirable and tasty. The texture was muffin-like and I could see the potential minus the extra flavor, so the next morning I tried again. This time I made sure to separate the pure carrot  pulp before adding my garlic and celery. The cake was really delicious and the kids have been eating it with plain yogurt and asking for more and more. The recipe is as follows~
Carrot Pulp Cake 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl mix:
2 eggs
1/3 cup grapeseed oil or other vegetable oil
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups carrot pulp

In a separate bowl mix than add:
1+1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh raw cranberries 

Pour into an oiled cake pan. I used two 6" pans, but one 8" or 9"
should work fine. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
                                                                                            ~Marica

1 comment: