Thursday, September 22, 2011

A tid bit of Santa Barbara . . .

Every so often my mom and I go and spend some time together in Santa Barbara. It is only a short drive through the mountains to the coast where it sits comfortable at an almost always sixty to seventy degree temperature. It is one of the older cities in California. The architecture is lovely, and although it is quite touristy, it is still a nice place to spend an afternoon. 
 Many of the buildings are spanish influenced, due to the spanish settlers 
from several hundred years ago . . .
 Around here it is rare to see a building that is even much over a century old.
 It was a wonderful experience when I visited France as a teenager
 to see buildings that dated back a thousand years. Bricks are always a breath of fresh air to me,
we see them so seldom. I was trying to use the word seldomly only to find it doesn't exist:

("Seldomly is not a word. Seldom is already an adverb, so the adverbial -ly adds nothing.

This error will likely continue to appear as long as seldom remains a relatively seldom used word.")
 There are the most amazing trees . . . I think the warm coastal climate 
allows for delicate species to thrive . . . 
But what we usually come for  is lunch . . . 
We have a favorite Indian Buffet we eat almost every time. . .
And we dissolve into unsweetened chai . . . My mom will down several cups . . . 
Often we make our way through the remnants store. 
The itchy inspiration in there alone always leaves me with spinning ideas . . .
 Rolls and rolls of possibility . . .
Rightly useful information . . . 
 Bolts with the common thread of red . . . Ah, so satisfying . . .
Leaving the fabric behind, we passed giant stuffed beings . . . 
Then a whole different kind of inspiration lured us in . . .
 Trays and trays of beads . . .
 Hanging strands of potential projects with colors that drip from the rainbow directly . . . 
 At our last fun stop I came across these amazing bird houses . . . 
I am now so determined make one of my own . . . 
                                ~ Marica

2 comments:

  1. I spent 1 day in Santa barbara about 11 years ago and i remember it was a sooo lovely place!!!!
    you're so lucky to have it so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I feel that way about you being in Italy . . . What a lucky gal you are : )

    ReplyDelete