Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wabi-Sabi

A while back we were given a picture book titled Wabi Sabi. The story is simple, with lovely illustrations, telling about a cat named Wabi Sabi. The book was nice, but it was the meaning of the word that has stuck with me for years. Wabi-sabi is a Japanese word and as wikipedia describes: "Wabi-sabi (?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[1] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō?)

When I first read the meaning of wabi-sabi I felt relieved, like there was finally a word to fill an 
over-looked gap in the english language. When I sit by the creek and feel that perfect calm, when my sleeping kids feet are poking themselves out of a curled blanket, the absolute beauty that passes without me noticing unless I look and see. This post is a compilation of the wabi-sabi happening around here . . .

The giant volunteer squash that hold an almost noble-air 
as they lie like beached whales on our table . . . 
The desert flowers that bloom everyday in so many colors, 
than close up and are done once evening has made its mark.
My cup-rack full . . .
The spool of wool a sweet friend gave me . . . too lovely to use, but I have started to indulge . . .
And last but not least, the orange watering can that makes me so happy every time I see it . . . 


                    Any wabi-sabi over in all your directions?? ~ Marica

2 comments:

  1. At this moment, the wabi-sabi here is my quickly vanishing bowl of brown rice with pea, kale and dried cranberries. Thank you for introducing me to this word.

    ReplyDelete