Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sweet foods from yesterday...

Well as it was the 4th of July, and we did have a barbecue… 
All by our selves that is, but the food was so good!!
I marinated chicken thighs in barbecue sauce and marmalade. I highly recommend it...
I also happened to tasted one of the BEST things I have EVER tasted:
I was making French apple pie, but I had no refined sugar only raw sugar and coconut sugar. 
I decided that the only solution was to melt the sugar up a bit, to smooth it out enough, to not leave my pie gritty. I melted 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 1/2 cup raw sugar with the 6 tablespoons butter I had. I  carefully mixed enough so it didn't burn. Just as it was becoming perfect, I drizzled in about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of half & half. Gently I stirred and then I tasted it. Then I tasted it again. Then I had to once more. At that moment I was on the phone with my mother in law and I stopped our conversation to let her know I had just tasted one of the best things I had EVER tasted. Unfortunately, it is not something you could pour into a bowl and spoon up into you mouth in endless delight. It is just too ridiculously rich. But goodness, I will have to make it again just to satisfy my now forever ruined tongue. Nothing beats melting buttery coconut sugar with cream. It was close to caramel but so much more intense. 
Eventually that magical swirl you see in the picture above, was combined with the eggs, vanilla and flour that needed to be poured over the apples so my pies could get into the oven where they belonged. 
Good-bye sweet, rich, thing that could never be eaten on its own. And cheers to French apple pie; just the thing for after dinner on such a gung ho American holiday.

                                                                                             ~ Marica

2 comments:

  1. wow!!! your chicken looks delicious and...you make me like to try that french apple pie!!!!!
    Your recipes are always oooo yummy!!!!
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani : ) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

      Delete