Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas . . . And yes, poppy seed cake with brandy sauce . . .

Well the whirlwind of Christmas just is sputtering to a close . . . I realized I think I might enjoy the lead up to Christmas more than the actual day, or days, themselves. Here a a few pictures of what happened over on this end of the world. I didn't record the hurried messes or grouchy voices, I caught a few glimpses of the pretty things . . . Like my eight-year-old's last minute made Christmas dress . . . She always reminds me the day before or so, and then I remember, "Oh yes, we need to do that too . . ." So we hurry to the fabric store and somehow, it always gets finished in the hours before it is worn, and threads just barely snipped, and then it looks as though we had planned it so well and she has had it hanging in her closet for weeks. Shhh, I like that part of the last minutes before it all begins . . .
And the deep yet bright colors of Christmas eve . . . 
And the quiet light the of the morning . . . The day so many children dream about all year . . . 
 And then there are the chocolate Santa's that look so much better than they actually taste . . .
 And lastly, poppy seed cake with brandy sauce and pecans . . . 
Poppy Seed Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl mix:
2 cups butter soft
2 + ½ cups brown sugar

Add:
Tangerine rind
1 + ½ cups sour cream
8 eggs, one at a time then stir
½ cup milk

Mix in a bowl:
6 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

 Combine ingredients then pour into a buttered budnt pan. 
If your pan is not very big, pour excess batter into a loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

For the brandy sauce I just pour brandy in a pan over medium heat, 
added brown sugar and a couple tablespoons of butter.
I also threw in a cup or so of pecans
Once everything is desolved turn off the heat.

When the cake is cooked and turned out onto a plate,
poke toothpick size holes all over the top of the cake.
Pour the brandy sauce with pecans over that and
if you want to make it extra fancy, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

                                               Hope everyones holidays were fabulous ~ Marica


3 comments:

  1. So beautiful - and you know, the grumpy moments are all a part of it - so very real!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress, Marica. Enjoy the remainder of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful -- thanks for sharing Marica -- if I had a blog when my children were growing up, I hope it would have looked just like this -- it's so wonderful that you can capture it! My happiest memories are the pictures of Christmas, the things that I made for them, the things that we made together!

    ReplyDelete