Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer and the color of food . . . and a recipe . . .

Often the most eye catching arrangement of food is when nothing is done, but each item merely 
holds its own on a plate amongst other dazzling companions. Colors of food can almost outdo flowers. I've noticed that sometimes the simplest compilation of food looks as if its sole purpose 
is to be starred at . . . Summer foods especially shine bright in this department, but lets not forget the eternally beautiful squashes and pumpkins that adorn our tables and pathways come fall. Fruit exuberates its likeness to be combined and enjoyed and the color combinations are hard to conflict. 
Dinners have a different meaning in summer . . . light is okay and cold and fresh is fabulous . . .
Vegetarian Patties:

Combine in a bowl:
1 cup mushrooms, chopped (I used portabella)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup almond meal 
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped 
1 lime squeezed
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
1 egg

 Heat a pan (preferably cast iron) and poured a thin layer of sesame seeds on the bottom instead of oil. Form patties and cook for several minutes on each side. I did also tested it with oil and it works great, in some ways more typical in its finish, but the sesame seeds won out for me in overall yumminess.

Fruit Salad Trick:
If I haven't already stated this trick it needs to be said, or if I have I apologize, but feel it is worth repeating. Fresh squeezed lime juice is like an exponential gift to the perfect fruit salad. 




                     To summer eating ~ Marica


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe, Marica. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos always make me lament my allergies, haha! but everything looks beautiful and delicious, as always!

    ReplyDelete