Monday, August 22, 2011

The Pickle Recipe . . .

I was sent an email by a very lovely woman in my town asking if I could post the pickle recipe. I didn't initially because it isn't original to me. . . the problem is I don't remember where I found it . . . but I've added and subtracted just a bit, and hope with all good intention, nobody will feel I posted this without their permission. 
Fresh Refrigerator Pickles
In a very clean 1 gallon jar place a washed strand of fresh dill weed
If you don't have fresh use a tablespoon of dried.

Add roughly 4 lb. pickling cucumbers washed (they are all over at the farmers market right now)
4 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 cup salt
1 + 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon black pepper corns
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole allspice
a few cloves
6-8 cups water or until jar is full.
optional: pepper flakes or a couple fresh hot peppers,
fresh strand tarragon. 

Cover with wax paper and fasten with string or a rubber band.
Let sit out for two days, out of direct sunlight, then refrigerate for up to two months. 
Mine usually last a few days, if, before they become a delectable memory. 

                                           Happy Last Weeks of Summer ~ Marica

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, i love making all sorts of canned goodness. your jar of pickles is to die for. don't you think a neat row of canned veggies looks lovely on a shelf ? have to write down this recipe. thanks so much for sharing, hubby will be so happy if i manage to find the time to make a few jar of these !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickles that I may actually make. They sound delicious, Marica, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete