Friday, August 19, 2011

Tables tables tables and the yard is being worked . . .

Well the title is very self explanatory. We have been working nonstop over the last weeks on pulling together our outdoor space. We were expecting a lot of people over for an event Wednesday night, so the last few days have been racing the the clock and ignoring sanity. 
 This table was a collaborative effort on both Justin and my part. It measures ten feet in length and roughly three and a half feet in width. I battled the electric drill to put in the bolts until I had to actually give up. I may be strong enough for some things, but I guess my hands are just lacking enough to keep me from manipulating a quarter-inch-thick, five-inch-long, twisty piece of metal into a  solid hunk of douglas fir. I can't tell you the feeling of defeat. But long last, the table is finished, and sits stately, awaiting benches. 
 I also built two picnic tables . . .
 These measure six-feet-long and about three-and-a-half-feet-wide. They are low enough to work comfortably for kids, and adults fit just fine. 
 We laid mulch, and planted a scattering of greenery. Behind are the garden boxes built a while back, but still not filled. Only one boasts soil and an array of herbs.
 The tea garden flourishes and thickens . . . 
I adore watching each individual plant . . .
 And at the back end of the tea garden, a volunteer yellow summer squash has built an empire. 
I am starting to spot its first fruits, and will be tasting them soon. 


                                           Best Wishes ~ Marica

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! your tables are wonderful!!!!
    I always wanted a picnic table, it makes me feel you are having a party everytime you eat on it!!!
    You did an amazing job and your tea garden is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so neat! that's really cool that you built your own furniture... definitely a skill I'd like to learn in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have absolutely no aptitude for hammer and nails and wood. Your tables are beautiful. Great job! Pat yourselves on the backs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much everyone, it was lots of fun making them : )

    ReplyDelete