Sunday, August 28, 2011

Things of late . . . summer heat, and a couple recipes . . .

Oh world, it has been hot the last few days. We have had heavy clouds that melted the
 heat with humidity . . . very rare for here. Yesterday one thermometer read 107 degrees 
fahrenheit. We don't have an air conditioner or swamp cooler in our house, so we too 
have melted together with the true summer weather. Iced-chai certainly tastes of heaven at such times . . . 
A woman recently passed her old record player on to us . . .
It has been fun pulling out our old records that we haven't heard in ages . . . And as cliché as blogs can go, I have to post this picture of my son 
listening to Winnie the Pooh on vinyl . . .Made a second batch of pickles . . .  the first gallon jar is consumed in entirety . . . 
The gloriousness of bright ripe fruits . . .And vegetables . . . Made a sweet salsa, and even though it is so obvious, it is all about the tomatoes. 
What are those things they sell EVERYWHERE  all year? 
It almost makes me forget what a tomato really is.Sweet Summer Salsa
Saute gently for just a minute:
1 red onion diced
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 jalapeno minced very finely 

Pour into a bowl then add:
about a cups worth of the best, sweetest tomatoes you can find diced
1 handful fresh cilantro chopped
1 squeeze of lemon
salt and pepper to taste

~~~~~~~~

And made a strawberry nectarine tart . . .

Mostly Raw Strawberry Nectarine Tart
This is my best guess at what I did. I didn't measure as
I went along, but I eyed the steps and tasted as I went.

Combine in a bowl:
1 cup raw walnuts minced
1/3 cup sunflower-seed butter*
1 tablespoon honey
1 squeeze lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
 1 - 1+1/2 cups almond meal
Add more almond meal if dough is too moist. Dough should resemble 
an uncooked pie dough or rolled cookie dough. 
Press onto wax paper in desired shape about 1/3 inch thick. 
Cover in thinly sliced strawberries and nectarines.
Press fruit gently down to secure. 

Refrigerate until ready to eat.

*The sunflower butter I used was toasted and contained 
additional ingredients. 

                                                              Best Wishes on these hot, hot summer days ~ Marica

4 comments:

  1. Your salsa looks lovely! I think I will try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks so yummy!!! I wish I have still strawberries for try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cliche or not, i love the photo of your son listening to Winnie the Pooh. The overalls just add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much goodness in this post! First of all your son is adorable and I love the idea of listening to Winnie the Pooh on vinyl! And all your dishes sound wonderful! I love that you make your own pickles and that tart looks to-die-for!

    ReplyDelete