Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wabi-Sabi through my camera's lens . . .

In a past post I brought up Wabi-Sabi . . . Wabi-sabi is a Japanese word and as wikipedia describes: "Wabi-sabi (?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[1] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō?)
I have begun to realize that as I look through my camera's lens I am seeing wabi-sabi. It is the stopping moment, the appreciation of the everyday, the second of seeing without thinking forward. Yesterday I took picture after picture, and as always, felt immensely grateful I don't have to now develop a million photographs to catch that one picture that feels settling to my eyes. Wabi-sabi through the lens as follows . . .
 The quaintness of pinto beans and dominoes . . . 
 Small hands . . .
 Cloth mats. . . 
 Morning light . . .
 A five-year-old's toes . . . 
The awe that same five-year-old feels when a giant moth lands squarely on her arm . . .
The moth itself . . . 
 The bent sunflower filled with seeds  . . .
 The careful picking . . . 
 Seed after seed . . . 
 Together . . . 
New seeds ready to eat, something I had never done before . . .
 So perfectly packed it makes you have to wonder . . .
  Wabi-sabi 

                                                           ~ Marica

4 comments:

  1. so beautiful and heart-touching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are perfect toes! And wonderful photos. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess . . . Thanks, I use a Nikon D90 digital camera and I loooove it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been drooling over Nikons... I own a Canon Powershot S90, which I love, and a friend recently gifted me her old Olympus Evolt 330. So much fiddling and learning to come!

    ReplyDelete