Friday, December 3, 2010

Stew For the Hungry

Apologies in advance to anyone vegetarian. I had to add this post because this stew came out so good. Of course you could make it without the meat, but for me, I have learned my body really needs the substance meat offers. I grew up vegetarian, and would most definitely refrain from eating animals if my body wasn't so darn stubborn in its determination to eat meat. Enough said. I just wanted to state my lack of conviction either toward or against meat eating. 
Last night my very sweet friend and I were trying to decide what sort of meal to make for dinner. We both new we wanted something along the lines of steak, but were not sure of what form or combination we desired. After watching the movie Julie and Julia a few weeks ago I have been waiting to make a stew, something like what was in the pot that Julie burns in the film. I don't remember the name, but it looked so good. 
So as I was saying, we were trying to get inspired when I remembered about the stew.
 Unfortunately the store we went to didn't have the meat we wanted so we both bought packages of ground buffalo instead. 

At home I put together the following stew. Sooo yummy . . . mmm . . .
The measurments are not exact because I didn't measure, but this is the gist.
Buffalo Meatball Tortilla Stew

Finely chop then saute in a large pot with a bit of olive oil. Add the vegetables one at a time starting with the onion and moving down the list. The onions need to have a minute to themselves, and the carrots take longer so there is a logic to this.:
1 large onion
3 large carrots 
2 stalks celery
1 red bell pepper

Once veggies are somewhat tender add and continue to saute for a few minutes:
1 large can tomato sauce
1 cup cooked black beans
salt and pepper to taste.

Add:
1+1/2 cups frozen corn or fresh if you have it
4 - 6 cups water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin

In a pan with a dash of olive oil, cook gently over low to medium heat for several minutes:
1 pound ground buffalo made into 1" meat balls
Flip and cook another minute. Its best if these only are half 
cooked so when you add them to the stew they remain tender.
Add the meatballs carefully to the stew.
Add:
 a handful of chopped cilantro
 a large handful of crushed corn chips.
Yeay, you are ready to eat! 
Serve with more fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream and extra chips.
                                                    ~Marica

No comments:

Post a Comment