Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cookie Time


"Cookie time!" What is better when your a kid than those words? 
We were having friends over and I wanted to make the most of the cold, cold day that California only graces us with occasionally. Rolled cookies are something I haven't done much, so I glanced around the internet, stubbornly wouldn't take anyones complete opinion, hodge podged my own recipe, and had a lot of fun. The cookies were good ~ not overly sweet and shortbread like. I want to work on the recipe more, maybe a little heavy cream would be good. They did roll wonderfully though, and so much fun it is when the dough actually stays together when rolled out. I did the first batch with my four year-old son's help. We "tested" to see that they held together, and were tasty. 
The second batch I turned over to the rest of the kids, covered my eyes, peeked through my fingers at the messy flour and the sprinkles they were consuming by the hand load.
The loads of fun that they had, made it totally worth it. So often I can't quite bring myself to let go and let them reign in cookie glory. Oh I guess I mean messy glory. What is it with us mothers?
  • Rolled Shortbread Cookies
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees

  • In a large bowl cream together:

  • 1 cup butter soft
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar (if you like more sweet add another 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Add and continue to beat:
2 eggs

Add:
2+1/2 cups flour
1+1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Cover dough and chill for 20-30 minutes for easier handling.

Roll dough out on a floured surface, cut with cookie cutters then place on buttered cookie sheet. Add sprinkles if you so desire.

Bake about 12-14 minutes
Optional: Melt chocolate and spread on the surface. Mmmm . . . 
                                                                            ~Marica

No comments:

Post a Comment