Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Baked Heaven . . . also known as brie . . .

At a Christmas Eve party this year I experienced something unimaginable ~ baked brie. Like the ocean, many have experienced this before, but a first look at the roaring sea, or the first taste of baked brie, can quake even the most experienced of travelers. I have eaten brie more times than I have fingers or toes or ears or whatever else I can count. I have tasted many cheeses and swooned over their delectability. Cheese, I'm afraid, carries its own affairs not to be out done by too many foods. Anyway, back to the Christmas Eve party. On this particular occasion a guest brought brie with sun-dried tomato paste and pesto. The dish was thrown in the oven and commenced to heat into a luxurious melt-en dish of heaven. I'm not babbling when I say I was blown away. The memory lasted through the weeks after Christmas, and idea of olives and green chili peppers kept making their way in. Why not try a version with black olives chopped, and roasted Anaheim chilies? My first attempt was unexpectedly bland. I was sure I was going to rock my world with a flavor from the gods. Well I tried again; this time I doused the peppers in a little white vinegar, this addition of flavor helped immensely.  I also need to mention that the tastier the olives the tastier this treat will be. I baked it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serving with corn chips produces a very satisfying experience. 
              
                                                                                                                             ~ Marica

3 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean! I had some baked brie over Christmas with chile jelly over top of it! My husband made it a bunch after that....loving your blog - glad you are writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that. i do bake brie once in a while, changing my recipe each time. but i never omit to bake garlic heads to eat along with brie. try it !you just slice the top, sprinkle wit ha bit of olive oil. bake the garlic in a separate container such as a pie plate. it takes about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. cloves become tender, just like butter. spread it on a piece of crusty bread along with a spoonfull of the baked brie. awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, thank you for the garlic idea, I will have to try that : )

    ReplyDelete