Monday, July 18, 2011

The black lentil progression . . .

Last night I made a simple lentil dinner. It was fine, but It needed a little more punch, so I kept adding things, first lime, than fresh crushed garlic, finally wakame seaweed. The seaweed did it. It rounded out the flavor to a finished level of satisfaction. Then of course a doused of chili pepper flakes . . . 
This has to been such an iron filled bowl of dinner.



Black Lentil Bowl
In a large pot simmer for 25 minutes:
2 cups black lentils rinsed 
1/2 cup wild rice rinsed
8 cups water

Once lentils are soft, 
drain most of the liquid and add:

1 small can tomato paste
3 cloves fresh garlic crushed
6 sticks dried wakame seaweed broken into pieces
1 lime squeezed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste

Serving options: Chili pepper flakes, yogurt or sour cream.


                       ~ Marica

5 comments:

  1. Wow that looks delicious and very warming - comfort food! I have never tried wakame seaweed. Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey...it seems a great idea!!!! surely it makes the taste different!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cooking lentils in new ways. I'll be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is an extremely healthy dish.
    I use black lentils as often as I can because they're good when you are iron deficient as I am (and not keen on meat) and seaweeds I learn to add to our food since the sad event in Japan, a little more idoine can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete