Saturday, July 30, 2011

Making Mulberry Jam

On this new property of ours, we found we have a Persian Mulberry Tree. The berries are more like a cross between mulberries and my favorite thing ever . . . blackberries.
Right now the tree is heavy with fruit, practically dripping berries in the most satisfying way.  Luckily the kids love them. When I was a kid we had mulberry trees, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not learn to like them. I ate them when they were green because with that much sourness anything is good, but even my dad’s doted on Persian Mulberry tree, did not turn my lack of fancy. 
 But whether the psychological shift of this being my own tree, my taste buds changing, or that these berries are truly fabulous, I am finding I like these dark sweet gems.  
So yesterday I made our first jam. It was unnecessary to add anything other than sugar to make it jammy. The flavor would turn any true mulberry lover over in their grave, and cause any current mulberry lover to come knocking at my door asking for a tid bit.  Even our rabbit and guinea pig are indulging in the lush rain of mulberries.

I can't wait to make more jam.
                             ~ Marica

2 comments:

  1. Oooh yummy- I'm not sure if we even get mulberries in this country, I suppose we must do, but I've never seen them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would like a mulberry tree in my backyard too. the jam looks perfectly jammy.

    ReplyDelete