Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

A friend of mine hired me to make her a lemon meringue pie. 
She brought over flour and sugar, butter and lemons. 
I love how she used the blue paper clips with the brown bags 
and the red writing . . . 
 I used the Genevieve's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe from my mom's cookbook, although truth be told, it is my recipe. The pie was titled this because of a woman who greatly inspired my mom as a child and according to my mom, she made a fantastic lemon meringue pie.
I have a serious soft spot for rolling pins and dough, so sorry if there is often a similar image 
floating through this blog . . . 
 And the pie came out looking golden and heavenly . . . 
 I'm going to have to make one of these for myself very soon here . . .


Lemon Meringue Pie

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Pre-bake pie crust for ten minutes.

In a large bowl combine and mix well:
7 egg yolks (save whites)
2 tablespoons corn starch or Kuzu
1/2 cup sugar (or more if your lemons are really sour)
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3/4 cup lemon juice

Pour into a double boiler, or use a regular pot
and be very careful, stir constantly
over medium heat until thick, 10-12 minutes.

Remove from heat and add:
8 tablespoons butter cut in chunks

Stir then pour into pre-baked pie crust.

Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees.

Beat egg whites until stiff.
Add:
1/3 - 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Spread over pie then bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. 



                                                                         Cheers ~ Marica

No comments:

Post a Comment