Friday, March 23, 2012

Raw Coconut Cake Recipe . . .

Last post I gushed about food . . . 
This post contains the recipe for the cake mentioned
 at the end of that somewhat overly enthusiastic ditty. 

I believe I will continue to try to perfect it, 
but after a slice of this cake today, I enjoyed it so much
 I decided to temporarily call it finished.


This recipe is actually pretty simple, although somewhat messy to make. 
Unfortunately you have to have the right ingredients and most of 
them don't tend to be typical pantry staples. 


Raw Coconut Cake

For the filling blend in a blender until smooth:
2 fresh baby coconuts water and pulp

Add:
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil or butter (butter is so yummy)
1/2 cup soft dates, pitted and peeled
4 tablespoons soy lecithin 
pinch salt

For the crust knead together: 
1/2 cup soft dates
2 cups raw almond meal
2 cups dry shredded coconut
1 tablespoon (more or less to taste) fresh ginger crushed 
a dash salt
zest of 1 orange
And a bit of coconut oil or butter until the dough is shape-able. 

Press into a wax paper lined 8-9"cake pan.
Be sure to make the crust go up the sides a bit.

Pour filling into the crust and then refrigerate at least several hours.
Overnight is best. 


                                                Best Wishes ~ Marica

3 comments:

  1. this looks great i love coconut. i make tom yum soup everyday i love thai food you have a great website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Perfect timing as I have just started eating a raw diet...well I aim for 90% raw. My sister has been doing it for a lot longer so has reaped the benefits. I love this recipe as I love coconut. Not sure if I can find baby coconut in Yorkshire so can I used ordinary grown up coconuts?? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new food plans . . . I would love to hear about how it goes . . . I'm not to sure about using fully grown coconuts???? I wonder if the coconut flesh would just be that much drier, hence, a less smooth cake??? I know the baby coconuts I buy are imported, so who knows, maybe you do have them in yorkshire : )

    Best luck, and wishes,
    Marica

    P.S. When I get a chance, I will try experimenting with full grown coconuts . . .

    ReplyDelete