Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce . . .

Well at this point I think it is clear I enjoy cooking. There are times I get plain sick of it, as in anything one spends a lot of time doing, but if you asked me to choose one of my top favorite past times, cooking would be elbowing its way to the front of the line. My dear friend Robin brought me a bag of rolls last night and even went so far as to chop them into tidy little squares for me. She had far too many to use up herself, and so in a generous thought, which she always seems to have, she shared them with me. She said they were for bread pudding. Could I argue with a statement like that? Of course not. So I spent a little time mixing: 5 eggs and 2 cups milk, 3/4 cups sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla, 4 tablespoons melted buttera pinch salt and orange zest to create what should be thought of as a very special treat. This got poured over the dry bread squares in an oiled pan and baked at 350 until golden. Unfortunately I didn't time it, but I roughly guess 45 minutes. The exciting part to me was concocting my first ever brandy sauce. Oooo . . . ooo, it does carry things to the next level. So, for the brandy sauce I mixed and then simmered until the sugar devolved:
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
zest from 1 orange
The next step is to spoon the sauce over a slice of bread pudding and indulge to the extent that you might feel you have crossed the line of safe indulgence into the realm of all out precariousness. 

To the fellow eaters and cookers and indulgers out there ~ Marica

3 comments:

  1. Just stopping by to say hello! I like your blog and all those nice pictures... I get hungry looking at the food posts. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the flavours on that dip looks so rich and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the privilege of having some of this and it was the best!

    ReplyDelete